Sunday 17 January 2010

The Tallest Man on Earth




After listening to Frank Fairfield's album during the course of this afternoon, his sound reminded me of a Swedish folk guitarist who goes by the name The Tallest Man on Earth. Whilst not quite as traditional as Frank Fairfield, Kristian Matsson is a singer-songwriter in a Dylanesque way. He also kinda reminds me of A.A. Bondy and has toured with Bon Iver (a perfect companion/compliment for his music). What struck me most when I saw him on You Tube was his voice and at first I thought his voice was almost a little too powerful for his acoustic guitar. It was almost like when I first heard Dylan and found it hard to get into him due to his unusual singing voice. Anyway, I got hold of his debut album, 'Shallow Grave', and it became one of my favourites of 2008. And like with Dylan, his voice became one of his strongest qualities and gives the songs extra life. The album is full of great songs and I eagerly anticipate his follow-up! Check out this mini-documentary below:


Secret Garden Video Series: The Tallest Man on Earth from hoovesontheturf on Vimeo.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails