Tuesday 27 July 2010

The Greatest Southern Novels of All-Time


I've been reading a hell of a lot  of non-fiction over the past year or so and my fiancee keeps trying to get me to start reading a bit more fiction. I've got a huge wishlist on Amazon of books I plan to read and for the most part it consists of non-fiction, so I thought it's as good a time as any to add a few fiction books to the list. I started thinking about what I'd like to read next and as I'd been listening to Jim White and watching True Blood this past week and because there's just something about the American South I find fascinating, I thought it'd be fun to read a few of the classics from America's southern states. After reading about Mark Twain in Uncut's review of The Felice Brother's 'Yonder Is The Clock' I had scouted around a little and also liked the sound of several Flannery O'Connor's books.


Anywho, during my search, I came across the following list and thought it seemed like as good a place as any to start! I've posted the Top 10 below, but the rest of the list can be seen here. Have you read any of them or have any recommendations? Please let me know in the comments section!

1. Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (1936)

2. All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (1946)

3. The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner (1929)

4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1885)

5. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

6. The Moviegoer by Walker Percy (1961)

7. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (1930)

8. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (1952)

9. Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (1952)

10. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (1937)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails