Friday 15 January 2010

Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here



 Even though I have only heard one best of album and his two classics albums, 'Pieces of a Man' and 'Winter in America', I can't wait to hear this album! Everytime I put on a record of his, they always transport me back to the 70s and make me wish I was alive back then. He was without a doubt a big influence on the hip-hop and neo-soul scenes and has been sampled and name checked by loads of the biggest names. His first album since 1994s 'Spirits' is to be released next month and from what I've heard and read, the album should sound pretty contemporary (the opening tracks rises from a sample from Flashing Lights by Kanye West), but still very much like a Gil Scott Heron record. How could it not with his voice?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails