Friday 9 April 2010

MWW FAVOURITE: Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue (1977)


This album is unlike anything else I've ever heard before and is quite possibly one of the saddest and most moving albums ever released. As one Youtuber put it:

"its crushingly beautiful ...
ive never been to california but i bet pacific ocean blue summarizes the feel of that coast better than the beach boys music ever did.
I can feel the ebb and flow of the tide and the current and the warmth of that powerful pacific when i listen to this album... repetition is used masterfully to emulate the waves of music crashing in these beautiful and tragic songs from Dennis.."
I'm a huge Beach Boys fan and have always loved Dennis' contributions, especially 'Forever'  and 'Baby Blue', which have to be two of the most heratbreaking songs ever written. I didn't hear this album until it's reissue a couple of years back and fell in love with it instantly. It's an album that grows on you more and more with every listen and is packed full with emotion. I really have a tough time putting into words my feelings for music I love, so just take a listen to it yourself. The whole album's up on You Tube:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails