Monday 1 February 2010

Fashawn - Boy Meets World (2009)

I've heard this guys name mentioned a lot over the past year, but up until today hadn't got round to listening to it. I was first attracted to it after learning that Exile had produced the whole album and being a fan of his work on his own 'Below the Heavens' (Blu & Exile) I knew I'd like this album, if only for the production. The album has a classic rap feel to it, harking back to the days of early Common albums and the likes of Kweli and Black Star, but feels fresh and modern. I've not seen a full sample list yet, but samples I spotted include Black Star, Ice Cube, Talib Kweli, Barry White, Billy Paul ('Samsonite Man' samples his cover of Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'), The Doors ('Breathe' samples 'Yes, The River Knows')and the most surprising of all, Joanna Newsom ('When She Calls' samples 'Cosmia').

Listen to 'Boy Meets World' on Spotify



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails