Wednesday 9 December 2009

Kurt Vile

I've heard his name around before and often cofused him with the inspiration behind The Doors' 'Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar),' Kurt Weill:





His latest album, 'Childish Prodigy', was included in Uncut's Top Albums of 2009 and he has compared with everyone from Ariel Pink to tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen. I'd listened to his band 'War On Drugs' once or twice a while back and remember enjoying them, but not returning to them. I decided today that I'd set some Kurt time to one side and listen to his 2008 album 'Constant Hitmaker.' The first song on the album is 'Freeway' and is instantly likeable:





I'm only a few tracks into the album and can already understand the various comparisons made. The album jumps from style to style with the first radio friendly track 'Freeway' making way for a dreamy Neil Young meets My Bloody Valentine track ('Space Forklift') before the fingerpicked 'Slow Talkers' floats over my speakers....


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails